Monday, May 6, 2013

Dear Diary (Confessions of a Pack Rat)

I've been cleaning/organizing my office this past week (I know, it's about time) and in the process I've had to make the tough decision to cut down on clutter - I am a pack rat in the worst sentimental way! I had boxes full of old birthday/christmas/random holiday cards, ticket stubs from movies and plays, scripts from scenes I'd performed in acting classes, letters, postcards, diaries from when I was a kid, and even spelling awards from grade school. I actually had piles of certificates and ribbons - for participation!! Yikes!

While I think it's great to be able to look at all of this stuff and reminisce, I realized (well, with the help of my husband :p) that I could probably do without the majority of it, but still hold on to the most precious items.

So I managed to be (almost) completely ruthless and I tossed most of it away. Here are a couple of little gems that made the cut.

This one because I thought it was cute:


So my distaste for math is a long-standing one, and apparently I used to spell my name wrong ;p Also, instead of keeping the entire diary (which was mostly filled with lame 8-year-old boy-crazy/boy-hate rants anyway) I carefully removed my favourite entries and tossed the rest. 

This one because it's revealing:


School assignment circa 1999ish - pretty sure I was in grade 6 when I did this. We had to create an art piece out of our names and then write about ourselves. Now I'm starting to wonder - what was up with me always wanting to be famous? Hehe. 

This one because it was something I felt I accomplished:


My (fancily decorated) speech in grade 8 when I was campaigning to be the class rep for our school's student government. It was pretty much the exact same speech I gave the year before so I must have figured, 'why fix it if it ain't broke' (I was elected both years). 

Cleaning my office has taken me so much longer than I ever thought it would, mostly because I end up getting sucked into the past and nostalgically pouring over all my old crap. Lord knows, there is enough of it that I could probably make it a weekly feature on the blog and it could go on for years ;)

Is anyone else out there a pack rat like me? If you have any tips for de-cluttering and organizing an office I would love to hear them :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment