Thursday, May 9, 2013

Brave

Sara Bareilles has a new single out titled "brave". It's a little more 'pop' compared to her older stuff, but I love the message and I feel good when I listen to it. So I wanted to share.

And now I want to share a little "brave" of my own ...


For the first time I shared a poem with the world. After the above photo was uploaded to Twitter I was immediately stricken by panic and fear, and there may have been some slight hyperventilation and tears (you know, nothing too drastic). I realize that this made it all the more important for me to do it anyway.

And guess what? The world did not come crashing down around me. In fact, it went on exactly as it had 30 seconds before.

I have a new friend to thank, in part. I first "met" David 7 years ago through his book, Postcards from Paris (a blend of poetry, prose, journals and sketches - a book I love and recommend), and about a week ago I e-mailed him to ask if he would be willing to spare some time to meet a fledgling writer for coffee and to talk about (what else?) writing.

When I first showed him the poem, I hadn't even signed the damn thing! But he asked me if I would, and also if he could share it online. I believe my reply was "the thought of you posting it online terrifies me ... so I am saying yes!" I'm thankful for this exchange, because it gave me that little boost of confidence I needed to go one step further and share it myself.

When it comes to talking about my own work on this blog, I've had the realization that I always do so in a very vague and unspecific way. And while I don't necessarily believe in talking about a work-in-progress while I'm in the middle of it, I have had the desire to open up more about my writing.

I never set out to write poetry, but in my relatively-short journey (thus far) I'm discovering that a story will take the form it wants, and our only job as the writer is to get the hell out of the way. (A tough lesson for a control freak like myself :p)

I write poems and short stories, songs, scenes; journals and dreams and letters - I love to write letters. I write about loss and I write about love. I write about the loss of love, but mostly I believe in love. I write about being my age and how I'm really naive, and I write about the things that haunt me because when I get the words down, they seem to haunt me a little less.

None of it is perfect, and I've experienced rejection but despite that, I've still managed to keep what I write very private and away from the world.

Natalie Goldberg once said (and I'm paraphrasing) that nobody cares if we write or not, so we have to do it anyway if we love it; because we love it. So I write because I love it and because I have to. But I also write in order to connect, and to do that I have to share - even when it scares the shit out of me.

But that's what brave is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment