Monday, December 3, 2012

On My Bookshelf

Happy Monday!

I hope all of you had a great weekend and are off to a good start for the week. I myself will be extremely busy for the next two weeks as I am in my last week of classes, and then I go into exams (eek! Wish me luck).

I am, however, already starting to plan out my reading list for the holidays! I saw this book while browsing at my local Chapters store, and this is going straight to the top of my list.

{Collateral by Ellen Hopkins}

Meet Ashley, a graduate student at San Diego State University. She was raised in northern California reading poetry and singing backupin her best friend's band. The last thing she ever expected was to end up a military wife. But one night, she meets a handsome Marine named Cole. He doesn't match the stereotype of the aggressive military man she'd always presumed to be true; he's passionate and romantic, and he even writes poetry. Their relationship evolves into a deeply felt, sexually charged love affair that goes on for five years and survives four deployments. Cole desperately wants Ashley to marry him, but when she meets another man, a college professor, with similar professional pursuits and values, she begins to see what life might be like outside the shadow of war.
{partial synopsis courtesy of Chapters website}

I'm excited to read this book for two reasons:  

1) Being a military wife myself I always like to expose myself to literature that might offer another perspective of that life. Though we've been lucky (so far) to not have to deal with a long and dangerous deployment, we have many close friends and acquaintances that have been deployed to Afghanistan and elsewhere.

2) I've never read anything by Ellen Hopkins before, but after flipping through the novel briefly, I am intrigued by her poetic style, and am hoping to gain some inspiration for my own WIP.

What's on your holiday reading list??

- Image by Cate Emond

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good one, I love finding new book suggestions thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem, I love finding new books too! :)

    ReplyDelete