Friday, May 4, 2012

♥ Friday Links

 Happy Friday everyone! 

I'm feeling so relaxed right now, and looking forward to the weekend. I'm hoping the weather will be nice so we can spend some time outdoors going for walks, doing yard work, and maybe even (fingers crossed) spend some time at the driving range to get get ready for golfing season (yes, I golf!).

What are YOUR plans for the weekend?
  
Here are a few things I found around the web this week ...

Love this advice about writing like a motherf*cker.
 
Writing Checklists? YES please - get your list on here

Some thoughts on writer's block (we've all been there!). 

Steven Pressfeild's agent, Shawn Coyne, talks about seizing the day and the changing world of publishing. There are some good references to "being pro" as well, like this gem:

Why did I think this guy would “get” my pitch? 

He didn’t quit on his book. Even when he probably should have. For the pragmatist, quitting and returning the advance would have been the right financial decision.  He could have maintained his ego as a full time breadwinning journalist and write the blowup off as a lesson learned.

But this guy is an artist, not a pragmatist. He made the hard choice.

 This one is from Steven Pressfield himself, about feeling resistance first thing in the morning


How I write: Writer, Nathan Bransford's writing process (does anyone else have to get up just as they're falling asleep because they have a great idea??)

Okay, last link from S.P. I swear!! (He just shares such great advice, as well as advice from others like in this post here).

2 comments:

  1. Sigh. As a pragmatist I know I will never create rainbows, but am able to get over it reasonably. Tisk Tisk ;)

    I remember my high school English teacher saying whenever you have writer's block to just keep on typing; his written mantra: Oreo Cookies, Oreo Cookies, Oreo Cookies....etc. I new there were SO many reasons I loved English Class.

    Thanks Cate ~ I am enjoying your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, pragmatists can create rainbows too! REALLY!! In fact, I would go so far as to say being a pragmatist can actually help you MORE because you have the ability to get things done, and you can come up with a realistic plan that works for YOU!! Then when the pragmatist has done her work and layed the foundation, the artist can come out and play.

    I like that mantra -- my solution is usually just to stare at a blank page or screen for a couple of hours. It actually reminds me of the free-writing exercises I did in school where you just write the first thing that comes to your mind, anything at all as long as you kept your hand moving. Some interesting revelations came from those - for one, I learned that I used to be left-handed when I was younger :p

    I'm happy that you like my blog, thanks so much for reading it and contributing to the discussion! :) xo

    ReplyDelete