Thursday, November 3, 2011

Isabelle Laflêche is Here!

I'm excited to welcome another fellow Canadian {I didn't intend that to be the theme this week, but it's not such a bad thing ;p}, author Isabelle Laflèche to my blog!

 Isabelle was kind enough to answer a few questions for us despite her busy schedule {She has been hard at work on the sequel to J'adore New York ...}.


Isabelle worked for over ten years in Toronto, New York City, and Montreal as a corporate attorney in a large law firm and on Wall Street. In 2005, she was responsible for the business affairs of a Quebec based fashion designer where she developed her penchant for haute couture. This is her first novel. She lives in Montreal, Quebec.

A Bit About The Novel ...

--------------------------------------------------
When Catherine Lambert, an effortlessly chic Parisian lawyer, receives an offer to transfer to the New York office of her prestigious firm, she unhesitatingly accepts. A dedicated follower of fashion and everything stylish, she is determined to conquer the high-flying world of Manhattan law -- and love. Catherine's dreams of glamour fizzle quickly, however, when she is faced with the hard realities of her profession. The pressure of billable hours, the incessant demands of her impossible bosses, the conspiracies of two malicious secretaries and the advances of the lecherous client prompt her to question her career choice. But then she meets Jeffrey Richardson, a powerful client, and her New York life takes on the romance she'd hoped it would -- until an unexpected request forces Catherine to re-evaluate the exclusive world she's chosen for herself. With its insider's perspective on the dirty deals and intrigue that have darkened Wall Street's reputation, J'adore New York is a bright and funny take on the lives and laws of New York's most powerful players.
--------------------------------------------------
This was one of those books that I KNEW I had to read from the moment I saw the cover; I was hooked after reading the synopsis, and once I began I couldn't put it down until the very last page! I'm actually reading it right now for the THIRD time, and it's just as good as the first - I love reading/watching anything legal related, and the more glamorous the better!

Read on for my interview with Isabelle ...

What inspired you to make the leap from lawyer to author?
A psychic I met in New York told me I was wasting my time practicing law....But after I took some creative writing classes and received great feedback from my classmates, I decided to take a leap of faith.

What is a typical day like for you now?
Two thirds is spent working on upcoming projects and freelance work and a third is spent taking care of administration matters.

Do you have a particular process when it comes to writing?
I try to develop an outline but I tend to let my imagination run free. I write mostly at night and re-read and edit in the mornings.

How long did it take you to write J'adore New York?
The initial first draft took about a year to write, but it took several years of revisions after that before it was picked up by a publisher.

How long did it take you to get from idea to published novel?

5 years.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Running, skiing, kayaking, browsing in flea markets, reading magazines.

Do you have any suggestions for wannabe novelists wanting to break into the publishing world?

Take your time, do your homework and be very persistent.

You've spent time in Paris researching your novels, do you have a favourite spot to visit when you're there?
Absolutely! Paris is so magical and dreamy. I must say that my favourite neighborhood is Saint-Germain- des- Prés.

Can you tell us what's next for you?

I've recently completed the writing of J'Adore Paris, the sequel to J'adore New York. I am planning on writing three books in the J'Adore Series. After that, perhaps a series for young adults.

JUST FOR FUN

If you were to pair a glass of wine with J'adore new York, what kind would it be?
A Shiraz: bold, deep & rich with notes of sweetness.
Book you're currently reading?
The Help [By Kathryn Stockett].
If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be? 
Staring out at the ocean, in Rockport, Mass.
Favourite girlie cocktail?
A Fig and ginger martini from the Rose Bar in New York {Look out for the recipe in an upcoming post}


A HUGE Thank You to Isabelle!! 
I will have the pleasure of attending a writing workshop later this month taught by Isabelle, 
so I will definitely be doing a post on that.

For those of you who haven't yet had the opportunity to check out Isabelle's blog, here is the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment