Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Seeing The Light at the End of the Tunnel ...

I can't remember the first time I saw a pink ribbon for breast cancer awareness; at the same time, I can't remember a time when it wasn't in my realm of consciousness. That pink ribbon is both a reminder of how one day your life can be normal, and the next your entire world is flipped upside down; it's also a reminder of hope. 
 
I try to focus on the hope ... 

October is breast cancer awareness month, and I'm about to get brutally honest here ... every time I see a pink ribbon I feel a little bit bitter. Don't get me wrong, it's not because I don't support the cause; far from it. 

I realize that I never shared with you the type of cancer my partner was diagnosed with; well, it was testicular cancer, and it was aggressive. In the span of one month it was discovered and diagnosed; grew to the size of a tennis ball and removed; and then discovered that it had spread into the lymph nodes and the lungs. He was put on an equally aggressive chemo plan immediately following the surgery, and after weeks of treatment, I'm happy to say that it looks like we're nearing the end of this unexpected bump in our journey. 

The CAT scan shows no sign of any cancer at this point, and if it stays that way after the end of this upcoming weeks' chemo (Monday through Friday - bleh), then he's in the clear! Even though we're not quite there yet, I can't tell you how relieved we were to finally hear some good news. 
 
Did you know that Testicular cancer is the most common type of cancer for males aged 15-29??? I didn't either.
 
I'm happy that such a simple thing as a pink ribbon can help start the conversations that many people are too afraid to broach; but I also hope that people will remember that there are many other types of cancer that deserve just as much support and awareness.
 
Thank you so much for all of your support thus far, and I can't wait to get back to blogging on a more regular basis! 

No comments:

Post a Comment