Saturday, October 22, 2011

Good News + My Upcoming Return

Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend so far. I know mine had a great start because of this little book that arrived in my mailbox yesterday afternoon ...

If you look very closely, under the list of editors (and right above the forward credit), there you'll see it - my NAME!

Last April I decided to get involved with a local organization, the Friends of the Ottawa Public Library Association (FOPLA), and I became a member-at-large on their board of directors. Through FOPLA I heard about a project called Potpourri. Young authors, aged 9-17, submit their poems and short stories to the libraries, through the Awesome Authors Youth Writing Contest, and the winners are published in this anthology.

When I heard about Potpourri, I knew I wanted to be involved in some way, so when one of my co-members said some light editing was needed for the English short stories, I quickly volunteered, not anticipating the lovely surprise I would receive in the mail. Fast forward about five months, and here we are.

 I want to say how wonderful it is to see an opportunity like this for young writers, and I feel so lucky to have been a part of it (even just a small part). I grew up in a small, northern Alberta town, and even though I have so many great memories of visiting my local library (OFTEN), there just wasn't anything like this available to me.

So I urge people to continue to support their local libraries, because you're not just supporting books - you're supporting future authors! Here are a couple of pics from the Potpourri 2011 launch:



{Images by Sam Hornby}
CONGRATS to all the young authors, and Thank you to everyone involved who worked so hard; the anthology looks GREAT! Thank you for letting me be a part of Potpourri. If anyone in the Ottawa area is interested in purchasing a copy of this year's anthology (or even if you're not in Ottawa), click here.

MY UPCOMING RETURN! I will be kicking off my return to (more consistent) blogging with some author interviews the first week of November, and I also plan to have my FIRST give-away ever, so STAY TUNED ...

2 comments:

  1. That's such a great project & congratulations on working on it and being on the cover! There's something so nice and calming about libraries, unfortunately our current government doesn't seem to be of the same opinion and they're closing down at an alarming rate here in the UK... Wishing you a lovely weekend xo

    ReplyDelete