Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Art of Procrastination

Procrastination; it’s an art, really, and I have been perfecting it for years. The following are a few tips and tricks to help you procrastinate. Now I’ve put a lot of thought and effort into what I’m about to say and -

*** 

Oops ... sorry about that. I had this overwhelming urge to go jump in the shower; nothing like feeling squeaky clean before sitting down to write. Then afterwards, I realized that I really needed to make the bed. Don’t you just hate crawling into a messy bed at night? I know I do. Then I felt hungry, so I went down to the kitchen to make some lunch, and after heating up some leftovers, I couldn’t leave the kitchen without doing the dishes. Nothing bugs me more when I’m going to make supper in the evening and there are dirty dishes left by the sink. Then I realized I’d worked up a thirst after eating, and doing the dishes so I needed something to drink, naturally. So I poured myself a tall glass of water and went to go sit on the couch and enjoy it before heading back up to my office to write, but after seeing some crumbs on the floor I needed to whip out the swiffer vac and clean those up. And after that I thought I might as well wash the floors while I’m at. And of course, after all that cleaning I needed a break, so I watched the latest episode of Drop Dead Diva.

But I’m back now, and ready to pass on my golden nuggets of wisdom; except, I’ve forgotten what I was going to say...

{Image by Richard Krzmien via Writer at Work}

I was going to post this yesterday, but unfortunately my computer came down with a nasty virus posing as an anti-virus scanner {vista security 2012 -- Beware!!!!} so I had to put it off ... no really. I wasn't procrastinating, I swear ... 

Any tips for overcoming resistance/procrastination out there? Or ways that you procrastinate? Please share your wisdom with me in the comments!

2 comments:

  1. Cate, what a funny post. I have been feeling like this lately. There's always something to do and once I start on a task, it snowballs into like 10! Not sure I have any good tips for you, but if I know I have fun things going on, I do my best to get the not-so-fun things out of the way first so I can enjoy the fun time :)

    Hope all is well with you! Sounds like you have been uber busy with friends and showers and other things :) Have a glass of wine! It will help.
    -Linh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wine!! That is the best tip of all :) I feel like this all the time, sometimes I give in and procrastinate, most of the time I have to kick my butt to get started. :p You're right about the snowballing thing, once I get started I just keep going, so the thing is to get started, lol.

    All is well, the baby shower went really well, and now we're busy renovating our backyard. Next week we should be ready to actually put in the patio stones. Hope all is well with you also!

    ReplyDelete