Monday, July 11, 2011

My Top 5 Adaptations

I’ve never been a snob when it comes to film adaptations of books, because I appreciate both mediums equally, in their own way. That’s not to say that I’ve never seen a bad adaptation (I honestly couldn’t even make it to the end of My Sister’s Keeper); but like all forms of art, it is a matter of opinion.

So here are, in my opinion, my top five adaptations from books:


Wicked by Gregory Maguire: This is actually a stage adaptation, not a film adaptation, but I’ve included it because it is one of those instances where I liked the adaptation better than the actual book. 

                { The Novel}                           {The Musical}                           

Sideways by Rex Pickett: It’s about wine, need I say more? 

 
{ The Novel}                           {The Film}

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen: I could watch this movie, and read this book over and over again and never get tired of it. Many adaptations have been done, but I actually really like the most recent one with Kiera Knightly.

{ The Novel}                           {The Film}

Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray: Reese Witherspoon did an excellent portrayal of Becky Sharp, and again I liked the film better than the novel. Mira Nair directed and it is a visual feast for the eyes.

{ The Novel}                           {The Film}

      Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote: I love both the film and the novel. Each has a completely different ending than the  other giving me two stories I can enjoy.

{ The Novel}                           {The Film}

There are many film adaptations that I like, but these are my favourites. There were a few others I had thought to include, but ultimately they didn’t make this list simply because I saw the film but didn’t read the book; or I saw the film and read the book, and liked the film, but didn’t feel like it could stand alone, so this list is by no means complete. 

Whether or not a film follows the book exactly, which is the criteria many people use to determine whether or not an adaptation is “good”, is of no importance to me. What matters to me is whether the film can stand on its own, without needing to have read the book first to know what the heck is happening on the screen. 

Do any of you have any favourite adaptations? If so, which ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment